Monday, March 5, 2012

From the Bar: Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye

This bottle has been just about impossible to find in Socal.  More elusive than Pappy himself!  I was very happy to get the last two pours of a bottle with a friend on our Sunday afternoon drinking sojourn.  Our eyes lit up when we saw it sitting on the back of the bar.  I don't think it was supposed to be out and I could kind of sense the bartender thinking ooooops...

It tastes old.  It's supposed to be a 13 year but it's easy to tell it's older.  The info I've seen pegs it at about 18.  What struck me was the lack of spice.  I'm used to much younger ryes, and they all have a much more distinct rye flavor.  This was subdued and rich.  For something that wasn't distilled at the old Stitzel Weller distillery, it really shares of lot of its character with the SW wheaters like Pappy 20.  That's not what I was expecting, but it is very very good.  I would love to get my hands on a bottle.

Rating: More!

No comments:

Post a Comment