Saturday, February 4, 2012

A First Post

I started drinking whiskey a few years ago.  My fiancee and I live close to her parents, so we go over to their house often for holidays and family events.  Once we're there, we usually end up staying for a while.  Thankfully I found a retreat, in the den watching sports with her Grandpa.  He always drank Chivas Regal on the rocks, so I started drinking Chivas Regal on the rocks with him.  That was my gateway beyond using some Beam as a mixer with coke.  I started drinking scotch at home too, learned to drink it neat, tried American bourbons and ryes, and am really enjoying the whiskey thing.

I'm marrying his granddaughter this coming summer.  We were looking forward to him being there, but unfortunately he passed away in the fall a few weeks short of his 90th birthday.  I received one of the bottles he left behind as a gift for the holidays.  It's an unopened Chivas Regal 18 year old and it made me sad he never got to drink it.

I have a natural tendency to collect.  When I get a nice bottle it's hard for me to open it because I'll feel guilty when it's gone.  However, I'm adopting a new philosophy starting now, which is to drink the good whiskey as fast as I can.  This blog is a record that will contain notes and thoughts on what I've been drinking.  It's going to make it easier for me to open and finish bottles if I have this memento of the experience (and blog posts are a lot easier to store than empties).  Hoarding doesn't even make sense.  There is always a new conquest and another great whiskey around the corner.  I encourage everyone to drink them up with me.

Cheers to Grandpa!

No comments:

Post a Comment